The title of this might be a little misleading. My vegetable stock is made with a few more veggies than just swiss chard ribs. In fact, I’m not sure I ever make it the same way twice. I tend to use whatever vegetables that I have on hand but if you’ve never made stock and are looking for a recipe – here you go:
Vegetable Stock (using Swiss Chard Ribs)
1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
Whole mess of swiss chard ribs (I probably had about 6 cups of stalks here)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 bay leaf
Sprinkle of thyme
Sprinkle of parsley
- Heat butter and oil in an 8qt stockpot over medium heat.
- Cut swiss chard ribs down to chunks around 3″ long. Slice/chop remaining vegetables.
- Sauté onion in stockpot about 7 minutes, until carmelized.
- Add chard, carrots, and celery and sauté another 10 minutes.
- Add 3-1/2 quarts of water to the pot, along with the herbs.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Strain out the solids and then package into smaller portions and freeze flat on a cookie sheet.